Designed in collaboration with world-renowned bass accessory manufacturer Darkglass Electronics, the DarkRay unlocks a whole new range of sonic capabilities.
At the heart of every instrument is its tone: in this case, a new modern 2 Band EQ preamp was designed by Darkglass specifically for the DarkRay. This preamp offers three modes with very distinct and useful sounds: Clean, Alpha (distortion), and Omega (fuzz). Both distortion circuits are fully mixable via an onboard gain knob and blend control manipulated to the user’s preference. Astonishing clean, slight gain, or a brutal fuzz tone is obtainable, all with no low-end loss. A bright LED ring and the 3-way lever switch indicates which mode the bass is in.
The all-new DarkRay is every bit a Stingray Special with neodymium humbucking pickup, roasted maple neck, comfort contoured body, 22 stainless steel frets, and the familiar 3+1 headstock configuration. Available in Obsidian Black and limited edition Granite Stone.
Custom Darkglass® Clean 2-band Active Preamp
The DarkRay is equipped with a new modern 2 Band preamp that Darkglass specifically designed. The preamp is extremely clean and quiet with adjustable volume, gain, bass, treble, and blend controls to achieve the desired tone.
The Darkglass preamp offers two highly regarded drive circuits, Alpha(tight distortion) and Omega(fuzz). Both distortion circuits are fully mixable via an onboard gain knob and blend control manipulated to the user’s preference with no low-end loss. Via the 3-way lever switch, a bright color-coded LED ring is illuminated, signifying which mode the bass is in.
The DarkRay features a roasted maple neck, ebony fingerboard with stainless steel frets, and matte black hardware.
The neck is secured by a 5-bolt attachment with perfect alignment and no shifting. A special darkglass logo is applied to the neck plate to signify the darkray edition bass.
- Model - DarkRay Bass
- Size - 13-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 44-7/8" long (34.3 cm wide, 4.1 cm thick, 114.0 cm long)
- Body Wood - Select Hardwood
- Body Finish - High gloss polyester
- Bridge - Vintage Music Man® top loaded Black plated, steel bridge plate with vintage Black plated steel saddles
- Pickguard - Black
- Scale Length - 34" (86.4 cm)
- Neck Radius - 11" (27.9 cm)
- Headstock Size - Only 8-3/4" (22.2 cm) long
- Frets - 22, High profile, wide
- Neck Width - 2-1/2" (63.5 mm)
- Neck Wood - Roasted maple neck
- Fingerboard - Ebony
- Fret Markers - Dot Inlay
- Neck Finish - Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
- Neck Colors - Roasted
- Tuning Machines - Custom Music Man, lightweight with tapered string posts and ergonomic clover design
- Neck Attachment - 5 bolt, sculpted neck joint
- Electronic Shielding - Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and black plated aluminum control cover
- Controls - Custom Darkglass® 2-band active preamp with two distinct distortion circuits (Alpha and Omega); vol, gain, blend, treble, bass
- Switching - 3-way lever distortion selector; Preamp Only, Preamp+Alpha Distortion, Preamp+Omega Distortion
- Pickups - Single Humbucking with Neodymium magnets
- Left Handed - No
- Strings - 45w-65w-80w-100w (Super Slinky Bass #2834)